On My Needles: Free Knit Cabled Poncho/ Cape Pattern Added





First, I used this yarn. I think it’s Boisenberry. I only had one of them and will need another one to finish the project. Maybe even two of them. 

This makes a nice sturdy project, but I’d use another type of yarn in the future to make sure the yarn isn’t as harsh. I like soft yarns to use like BERNAT or ROWAN yarn. Those are lovely. 
Knitpicks makes lovely yarn to use as well. 

The KnitPics Superwash collection works best so that you don’t have to worry about your nicely washed items in the machine. 



I casted on 60 stitches with Worsted Weight yarn and then knit for 25-30 rows, depending on how you like the collar. if you want it to be longer, then you should go for as long or short that you wish. I wanted to go for short because I don’t like stuff around my neck to be honest. 

I am not knitting from a pattern. I’m just knitting however I see this going. 

So from those 60 stitches, I do increase rows on every other row. With this, you have to be careful not to increase so fast, but fast enough, if that make sense. I think I added at least 20 stitches per every other row to end up with 200 stitches. 


You can see the Make 1 increases best here. They created a lovely pattern here. 


Here I’m at 200 stitches and just going around and around and around. 


Did some different increases that I learned from a www.craftsy.com knitting class. It was very interesting and it made beautiful increases in the fabric. Much better than a K2TOG (knit two together) Those look a bit sloppy to me. This was more of a Make 1 which looks better to me.

You can clearly see that I’m making cables in the front. I used three cables in the front and used markers to divide that off. You can make your cables more “loose” or you can make them tight like in the picture. The more loose cables, you create the cable pattern less frequently, if that makes sense. Instead of following the usual pattern for creating cables. 


This poncho/Cape is coming along nicely but I will need more yarn. I’ll show you guys what it will look like when it is finished and I add the sleeves at the very bottom. I’m anxious on how this will end.

Stay tuned.


Comments

Popular Posts