Neon Green Worsted Weight Socks With Pink Polka Dots


So I am obsessed with socks. If you’ve been following the blog, you know this already. I wanted something different. I don’t necessarily like knitting with worsted weight yarn when it comes to socks but they make a great substitution for leg warmers I must say. 

But if you want a nice and thick “house” sock, worsted or DK weight is the way to go. Even a sport weight would work for those in warmer climates but something more stockier for your feet. 

For a nice delicate sock, stick to fingering or lace weight yarn. 

For sock knitting I like to do 16-16-16 on three needles. I like to make the cuff about 12-20 rows long in a K2P2.
Then I knit however long....mostly another 10-20 rows and then I start the heel. For a worsted weight sock, 10 rows is enough for me. I’ll explain a bit later. Then I go into the heel turn. When you are dealing with 48 stitches total, you can divide these up nicely when you do the turn. You’ll put 24 on one needle for the heel and then divide with markers 8-8-8. 

Perfect

Depending on what yarn you use, this may or may not work for you. But it surely has made all the difference to me. When you are a beginner, you have to keep trying new patterns and styles to see what works for you. 


I had these bright colors and thought, why not? They would make a fun looking sock! I was right. I had more of the lime green than the pink, hence the green sock. I would have rather inverted the colors but green is okay too. 


Trying on my work is great so I can gauge how much further I have to go in the sock. I have learned that when it comes to figuring out the heel, when you use a worsted weight, as little as ten rows can work here. This is what I did and it fit my foot to a ’T’. I realized that this was an early error when it came to my sock knitting. That I was knitting the heel too long and that resulted in a sock that slipped down at the back and not very comfortable. Highly annoying to wear too. I knit my daughter some school socks and she has this problem. Won’t be doing that again, now that I know where my errors are. 




Here is the first finished sock.

 For the Polka Dot Pattern...

Row 1       **K5 in MC, K3 CC**
Row 2       **K5 in MC, K5 in CC K5 in MC
Row 3       Repeat Row 2
Row 4       -----repeat this row a few times if you want a larger polka dot----
Last Row   Repeat Row 1

Here I am with the second sock and all the anxieties that go along with it. Since I really don’t count rows, I always worry about whether the sock will be the same way. Beginners....


The finished product. Because I use a wheelchair, I like covering my feet up with stylish footwear. I don’t wear shoes around my house, however, I like socks. Here is the finished product! I’m so proud of my loud socks.

Comments

Popular Posts